My kick ass truck.

Friday, February 5, 2010

OJ Simpson and Darth Vader

I watched the OJ Simpson portion of the Hooks video. She stated several times that this entire case was about a man killing a woman, not an African American doing so. However I noticed that the majority of the people that were rejoicing that OJ was innocent were women. For being a feminist she certainly didn't take into consideration that women were cheering for OJ. That is a weird coincidence is it not?

The other part I wanted to comment on was the part we watched in class. The whole good vs evil, or black vs white. And what got me more stirred up was the Star Wars scenario. She said that James Earl Jones was only chosen for the part of Darth Vader because we is black. Bullshit. That man has one of the coolest voices in show biz. Why couldn't George Lucas have seen that instead of his color? I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I think some the things this Bell Hooks says is bull.

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Darth Vader remark. Lets get real please...#1- the voice actor for that was great, so what if he was black...his voice fit perfectly....#2- THE CHARACTER WAS WHITE...the voice actor wasn't, but he was white. She failed to mention that. It seems like in her journey to point out racism among us, she just rushed and found things that weren't really THAT bad at all. I'm not saying there isn't racism, but when you have to stretch like that its ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the perceived "stretching" you're remarking on that has caused you to "react" in a way that already--whether you agree or disagree (which is fine!)--has caused you to think a bit more critically than you did before you engaged in her ideas and perspectives. I think her point of students oftentimes outright refusing to admit that the images (and the voices) we see in feature films have been consciously created to yield a certain emotional response from viewers is a valid one. It may seem like a stretch, but it's still consciously constructed with you, the viewer, in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But if Bell Hooks was trying to make a point then why didn't she bring up the fact that one of the good guys (Lando) was an African American. Or even that the "bad" army wore white uniforms. Her argument about Star Wars being racist is not very supportive. The evidence she used is completely thrown out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch this video segment but I can't believe that people would be rejoicing for his innocence! Especially women! I don't think I could celebrate the innocence of anyone who deciding that killing people was ok. But the irony of it all is that the majority were women??

    ReplyDelete
  5. When it comes to the part on Darth Vader, I am going to have to agree with you one hundred percent man. I am not saying that this woman is out there preaching pure madness, but she is definitely playing the race card. You know, I just wish people would stop their bitching and move on with life. It's not perfect and it never will be, just shut up and play the cards that you're dealt, because you and only you have the chance to make a good hand out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you Charlie. Hooks really was "stretching" the whole race thing with the Star Wars reference. You did bring up a really good point too and that is why didn't she mention about the uniforms being white and one of the good guys being black? I think she's just trying to get you to see things like the Darth Vadar thing as racist when, in my opinion, it really wasn't. About the O.J. thing. I didn't watch that video either but that is just crazy! Women were excited that he was innocent? That's just crazy!

    ReplyDelete