My kick ass truck.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoreau

I personally think Thoreau was a quack. His idea about railroads is way off. railroads united the states with a public form of transportation, not to mention a faster way to get information across country. he talks about how to simplify your life. Isn't the point of new technology to do just that? If he were here today he would freak at the thought of using a computer. In fact he's probably rolling in his grave now as I type this blog. Also secluding himself for a year is not healthy. There is a reason prisons only allow convicts small amount of time in solitary confinement. Men have gone crazy without human contact for a prolonged amount of time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure it was so much a literal criticism of the railroad itself so much as it was a discussion of how we have become dependent on a technology we never had a need for before its invention. This idea applies to many, many contemporary "inventions" in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that being alone in the woods is very unhealthy. I'm surprised Thoreau didn't become crazy. I honestly don't think I would know what to do with my time if I were in his situation today. I would be completely lost and probably go insane! I can't be alone for an hour or so until I have to start talking to myself. Lol.

    ReplyDelete